The San Gabriel library was founded in 1915 and moved to its present site in 1967. In 1982, the Friends of the San Gabriel Library decided that the large blank wall over the children’s section would be the perfect spot for a mural illustrating San Gabriel’s early history. Funds were raised through book sales and community donations and artist Robert Freeman was soon commissioned to create and paint the mural. The library has also recently underwent a total refurbishment.
The Hayes House was built in 1887 for Reverend George Finley Bovard who later became the fourth president of the University of Southern California. Milton Scott Wilson purchased the house in 1893. He served as Justice of the Peace for the San Gabriel Township and many weddings took place n his parlor. In 1904, his daughter, Mary Leticia, married Edwin Hayes who helped organize the first San Gabriel City Council and the San Gabriel Union Church